What is Dental Sedation?
Sedation is a medication administered by a professional that allows you to enter a deeply relaxed state while you are still awake. At Cairns Dental Anaesthetic Centre, you have the following options for sedation:
- Nitrous Oxide – This is a gas you inhale and is commonly referred to as “laughing gas” or “happy gas” as it tends to give you a relaxed, euphoric state.
- Halcion – This is a pill in the Valium family that you take an hour before your appointment. It tends to make you drowsy but still awake and very relaxed. Higher doses can be administered to produce a heavier sedation.
- Intravenous – This is where an IV is inserted into your arm. It allows for very quick sedation and allows your dentist to adjust the level of sedation accordingly.
Why should I consider Dental Sedation?
Sedation can be extremely useful in a lot of circumstances. The following are some reasons you may
want to consider sedation:
- Anxiety or phobias
- Low pain threshold or very sensitive teeth
- Bad gag reflex
- No discomfort
- Trouble sitting still for long periods
- Need a lot of dental work completed
Every patient has different needs and concerns. At Cairns Dental Anaesthetic Centre we will consult
with you regarding your options for sedation and answer any questions you may have.
Is Dental Sedation safe?
With any sedation, there is some risk involved but for most patients, sedation is completely safe. Your dentist will take your medical history, age, weight and general health into account and make sedation recommendations accordingly. Your safety and wellbeing is our top priority at Cairns Dental Anaesthetic Centre.