What are dental implants?
Dental implants are permanently fixed prosthetics that replace one or more missing or damaged teeth.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
There are several benefits to getting dental implants such as:
- Look and feel just like natural teeth
- Strong and stable
- Eat the foods you want (including chewy caramels)
- Regain confidence
- Improved self-esteem
- Prevent further decay of teeth surrounding the missing tooth
- Long term solution
- Avoid deterioration of the jawbone
- No additional care required other than normal brushing
Why are dental implants so strong?
The reason dental implants afford greater strength and freedom is that they are fixed into the jawbone. Specialised titanium posts (resembling screws) are fastened into the jawbone, which then naturally grows around the titanium for additional stability. Natural-looking prosthetic teeth are then screwed onto the titanium posts to restore the crowns.
What is the process to get a dental implant?
Dental implants require extensive planning and meticulous procedures so appointments will be
required over the course of several months.
- The necessary X-rays are taken in the initial appointments
- A surgical procedure (performed under general anaesthetic) will be completed in which the titanium posts are fitted.
- Temporary crowns will then be fitted
- When the jawbone has sufficiently formed around the posts, the final crowns will be
You will be supported by our friendly team through every phase of the process.
Is the metal in the implant safe?
Yes. The metal is titanium which is the same metal used for healing broken bones.
How soon will I be able to return to work after my dental implant?
The choice is yours. Most patients are able to return to work the following day if they wish.
What if I have a dental phobia or anxiety?
At Cairns Dental Anaesthetic Centre, we are passionate about working with you to minimise your anxiety around your dental appointments and treatments. If your phobia is especially bad, we can even offer sedation.