What are Dental Veneers?
Dental veneers consist of a thin but tough layer of porcelain or composite material that is permanently bonded to the tooth’s surface. They function effectively as a ‘mask’ for teeth, although they have a natural appearance.
Why would I need Dental Veneers?
You may like to consider dental veneers for several reasons including:
- Mild misalignments
- Tooth wear
- Shortened teeth
- Tooth chips
- Tooth fractures
What is the difference between Dental Veneers and Crowns and Bridges?
Unlike crowns and bridges, a dental veneer is only on the front of the tooth instead of over the top like a cap. The procedure for veneers is less invasive than that of a crown or bridge too.
How long will Dental Veneers last?
Dental veneers are long lasting and when properly cared for can last up to 20 years.
Tips for taking care of your Dental Veneers
To get the most out of your veneers, we recommend the following:
- Practice good oral hygiene (brush & floss regularly, etc)
- Schedule regular dental check-ups and cleans
- Avoid food & drink that result in tooth staining
- Use a straw when drinking stain-causing beverages
- Don’t chew on hard items such as pens or ice
- Wear a mouthguard for contact sports
- Avoid smoking
- Don’t tear packaging open with your teeth
What if I have a dental phobia or anxiety?
At Cairns Dental Anaesthetic Centre, we are passionate about working with you to minimise your anxiety around your dental appointments and treatments. Being under sedation or general anaesthetic may be a good option to consider if you do experience dental phobia or anxiety.